This is my note on how to define a new style or template in Calc of OpenOffice, especially v 3.3. This can be done if you want to have different-yet consistent style, other than the default one, every time creating a new spreadsheet. This can also be done if you want to have a specific column width on your new spreadsheet.
- Create a new document, add or modify styles, change other settings as you require
- File menu, choose Templates > Save
- Give your template a name
- Select a category in the Categories list (e.g. My Templates)
- Click OK to save the template
- Choose File > Templates > Organize
- In the Categories list, double click on the My Templates folder
- Right click on the template you want to use as your default template and choose Set as Default Template from the menu
- Click Close
I've never tried this for other app under OpenOffice, but I figured out that it would be the same.